Friday, September 8, 2017

Goodbye Cox Communications

For the last 10 years.....10 years...I have been a Cox Communications customer. I've always paid my bill on time. I've always made sure to keep my devices in good standing. I've even transferred my services three times as I've moved from Topeka to Wichita and from my apartment to my house.

When I first joined Cox, I remember paying roughly $94 a month for BOTH my cable and Internet. I didn't have the best of the best, but I was the second highest tier of Internet speed and had the basic + extended cable (which got me 64 channels). Fast forward 10 years...

I'm still a Cox Communications customer. I've started with the growing trend of cable cutting. About a year ago, I cut cable. I'm still on the second highest tier of Internet speed but my bill is now $77/month. For the same services. Now let's cut to the problems....

Purchased equipment in 2007 from Cox Communications. One cable modem and one router.

First apartment in Wichita:   Internet connections cut out for almost two months. Half the time no connection, half the time a connection. Being a techy guy and an IT professional myself, I troubleshot my devices. Troubleshot the router. Couldn't find anything. Called Cox Communications and was told it had "to be on my end" with the issues. Finally after a month, Cox Communications came out and found an issue with the outside line at the apartment and had to trench a new line.

Second apartment in Wichita:   Internet connections again begin to cut out. Knowing that it had been roughly 3-4 years since my last router, I began to investigate the router. Still couldn't find any issues. After a month of losing service, Cox again came out and re-terminated ends of the lines outside and to the router. Issues became less problematic but still existed at times.

House in Wichita:   Within a week of moving in, lightning took out the modem and router originally purchased in 2007. October 2012. Replaced cable modem and router fried by lightning strike. No complaints. Cox Communications came out and installed both and made sure the lines weren't damaged.

March 2015 - Connection with Internet and cable begins to go out intermittently. Cox again pulls the "it has to be on your side of things" to which I verify numerous times its not. I get told "the router can't be plugged in as we can't ping it". For weeks I communicated with Cox Communications that it was an issue on their side. Constantly I was told I was wrong. After a month of back and forth, Cox Communications came out and re-terminated the outside lines as well as the inside lines. They also suggested a dual cable modem/router replacement at NO CHARGE. Fast forward a month when I see on my bill they charge me $135 for the modem/router they told me was no charge. Another month of back and forth and finally I get the charges taken off. Currently a cable and internet customer for roughly $120 a month.

August 2016 - Drop cable from my bundle and become just a Cox Communication internet customer. Instantly save $50 a month by dropping cable. Subscribe to SlingTV for $25 a month to get ESPN, Fox Sports Net, etc. Still ahead by $25/month.

August 2017 - Connection with Internet and cable begins to once again go out. I once again begin the troubleshooting with Cox Communications and get the usual "we can't ping the router, it needs to be plugged in" when it already is. After three weeks of issues, Cox Communications sends a tech out to my house. Work is again performed on the outside lines and I get told "you might need a new modem/router". We can replace that for you if you'd like.

September 2017 -  Cox Communications calls me today to try and sell me their "Panoramic Wifi Modem". This is where the line was finally drawn. Today Cox Communications tries to sell me their "latest and greatest modem" that will bring "unmatched wifi coverage to my house". I'm promised increased speeds and coverage throughout my house. Asking how this new device is so state of the art, I'm told "well the modem uses three antennas both inbound and outbound" so there is better traffic flow of information. Cox Communications also claims that their modem is capable of providing the best quality when the 3x3 MIMO technology was beginning in routers as early as 2012. I very easily could purchase a router today on the market that carries 4x4 MIMO technology and would push 2.5Gbps instead of 1.3Gbps with 3x3 MIMO that Cox Communications is pushing.

The last straw? Being told today "well its obvious you don't understand technology and that we only have the best that only Cox Communications customers can get". I work as a professional in the Information Technology field. I understand technology and its capabilities. When you want to keep customers, talking down to them and making them feel inadequate is unnecessary. Also, when I'm paying $77/month for 50Mbps connection speed, I can double my speeds with AT&T to 100Mbps for....$60/month.

Long story wrapped up, come September 15th, I will be ending my time with Cox Communications. Faulty equipment, agents trying to upsell subpar devices that are years old in technology, and talking down to customers has pushed past being a happy customer. Customer satisfaction is where service will always be.

I feel like after 10 years I should be sad to see Cox Communications go. But the time has come....well gone. Goodbye Cox Communications....

No comments:

Post a Comment