Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Technology Director (and leader of change??)


Almost three years ago, I stepped into the biggest challenge and role of my young career. I had accepted a position to become "Director of Technology and Communication" in a local school district. Easy enough right? I couldn't have been more wrong.
I entered my interview as a cocky, chest-puffed-out, not-even twenty-five year old hot-shot in my eyes. During the interview process, I was asked questions I could barely even answer. "Can you handle pressure? How would you describe your abilities to balance time and tasks? Can you LEARN?" Excuse me? I had technical certifications in two major emphasis and had also just obtained my A+ certification just 18 months earlier. What did I need to learn? Turns out, I had so much to educate myself on and adapt to.
My first six months on the job couldn't have been more stressful. Students in the school found ways to create their own administrative accounts on the computer, laptops had to be re-imaged with firmware blocks, bandwidth issues ran wide, website issues occurred. If it could fail, more than likely it did. Somehow, my administration stood behind me and supported me which was the best thing that could have happened. I learned from my challenges and gained INVALUABLE knowledge and experiences. I had never worked in a Macintosh Apple environment and soon was ahead of many staff and students in knowledge. Many countless hours at work and through many painful emails for help from other area technology directors in an email forum group, and the first year of my job came to a close. The storm had been weathered.
My second year in the district brought on more duties as I began taking on additional tasks of data coordinator, our student-information-system administrator, as well as running the clock at home football games to be involved with other school activities. Thanks to the patient and wonderful staff of my district, our school was able to complete all our state testing and with less issues, my second year concluded.
Enter year three where I have noticed most of my ("Leader of Change") taking precedence over my "Technology Director" title. My school district blessed me with the opportunity to attend "PodStock 2014" in Wichita, KS. This is one of the largest EdTech seminars in the country. Technology directors, teachers, administration, and other main players in educational settings attend the seminar. The countless connections and mental notes I took from PodStock gave me confidence in what I was already doing in our district. Beginning with this school year, we started our iPad initiative in the elementary school. Many teachers had seemed hesitant to deploy iPads into their classrooms but walking around today, those iPads are out in full force! I hope to continue to push iPads into classrooms and slowly minimalize our laptops in the building. I know this will cause some friction but given that we ask the right questions such as "Why are we implementing these iPads?" instead of "Why are we getting rid of laptops?" can be huge in any educational classroom setting. Our current 10-12 grade 1:1 laptop program has entered its 12th year and continues to be successful. One of the reasons for its success is that teachers along with myself ask each other questions! "What can I do to help you in your classroom?" has been one of my biggest helpful things I can ask a teacher. The feedback I receive is IMPORTANT to the success of technology in classrooms and in our district as a whole.
Currently our district is searching for a new superintendent as our current one is retiring at the end of the school year. This candidate search for the new superintendent really hit reality today when I had the chance to sit down with a candidate for a short interview with him. The candidate asked me "So what are your job duties within the district?" As I counted out the numerous tasks and responsibilities I fulfill and complete daily, monthly, and yearly, his eyes widened. When we talked about time management and I relayed that I was a "one-man department" he smiled and stated "So you're THE MAN!". I, without hesitation for the first time, replied confidently "Yes sir I am".
In just three short years, my fears have subsided while my accomplishments continue slowly reflect in my work. I cannot thank my administration in the district for all their support, teamwork, and amazing staff that I get to work with. I have been blessed with an amazing opportunity to call my district "home" and hope for many, many numerous years in my district as their "Technology Director & (Leader of Change)"!

No comments:

Post a Comment